Thanks for visiting our page! Our goal is to serve you by getting your children to their destination in a way that is safe, efficient and friendly for students, parents, and staff.
As you look through the information on the page, please know that you can also keep informed of recent changes and updates through our facebook page and you can always contact us by phone if you have questions or concerns.
Vicksburg Community Schools Transportation Guidelines
Bus Riders Safety Guide Parents & Students
Our goal is to help provide a safe and enjoyable experience for students who ride the school buses. Parents are responsible for reading and discussing this material with their student. Riding the school bus is a privilege provided for students and should be treated as such. To ignore these rules will result in disciplinary action or suspension of the privilege.
- Obey the instructions of the bus driver at all times.
- Board and leave the bus at designated stops only.
- Ride only the bus to which you are assigned.
- Any student attempting to ride a bus which he/she is not assigned must be approved by the school office and a bus transfer will be issued. HS/MS students are not to ride a different bus for social purposes.
- Students may be required to walk up to a mile to arrive at the bus stop.
Conduct on the Bus
- Be respectful and follow directions of the driver at all times.
- Stay seated facing front with your feet on the floor.
- Keep all parts of their bodies inside the bus and out of the aisles.
- No use of abusive or profane language or gestures.
- Speak only in conversational voices and remain quiet at all railroad crossings, bus stops and locations designated by the driver.
- No eating, drinking or chewing gum.
- No throwing objects inside the bus or out of the windows.
- Be responsible for damage he/she causes to school buses, personal or public property.
- Keep all pop cans, plastic bottles & food items in a closed lunch bag/backpack.
- Keep toys or special items for school projects packed safely for bus transport. 11.Only with driver permission may you use headsets or play iPods, MP3’s etc. (headsets are not to be worn while in the loading zone, especially during crossing.
- Enter and exit the bus only by the front door, except in an emergency or when directed by the driver
- Tobacco/Alcohol/Illegal substances of all kinds.
- Firearms, knives, ammunition, explosives. 3.Open flames (lighters, matches, etc.) 4.Live animals or insects.
- Food and/or drinks.
- Helium filled/floating balloons
- No wooden or metal bats, tennis rackets, lacrosse sticks, unless they fit in an equipment bag.
- No skateboards/skis/snowboards or rollerblades/skates.
- No baseballs, basketballs or footballs etc. Unless they are in an equipment bag. No loose objects that can roll around the bus.
- Any object too large to be carried by the student and held on lap.
A bus transfer is for child care purposes only and must be issued from the school office in order for students to ride a different bus or get off the bus at a stop other than their assigned stop. The transfer must be given to the driver when boarding the bus.
Cell Phones/Cameras/Recording Devices
The use of cameras and recording devices are prohibited while on the bus. Cell phones are not to be used unless deemed and emergency by the driver. Parents please do not text your child to get off the bus because you are at the school to pick them up, call the transportation office and we will radio the driver to let them off.
Route /Bus Stop Changes
All requests for route or stop changes should be directed to the Transportation Office. Drivers may not make changes to bus routes without the Transportation Directors approval.
Procedures For Waiting For The Bus
- Parents are responsible for making sure their student arrives at the bus stop ten (10) minutes prior to scheduled pick up time. (The driver will not honk the horn or wait for students as we need to keep a schedule)
- Stand back off the roadway or on the sidewalk. Don’t stand closer than 10’ to the road.
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before moving towards the bus to enter.
- If you miss the bus, go home immediately. 6.Parents are responsible for providing transportation if a student misses the bus.
Loading/Unloading The Bus
- Do not push or shove.
- Use handrail.
- Use the jump seat: at the next stop move quickly to another seat, the bus will not move until all students are seated.
- When you are ready to exit the bus, remain seated until it has come to a complete stop.
- Use the handrail and take one step at a time.
- When crossing the street, walk forward 10 feet and wait for the driver direction (by hand signal).
- Walk to the middle of the bus, stop and look for the driver’s direction (by hand signal).
- Look both directions then proceed with driver's walking sign (two fingers walking).
- Never cross behind the bus.
Steps and consequences for improper conduct on the school bus.
- Verbal warning.
- Assigned seats
- If verbal warnings and/or assigned seats aren’t successful, the driver may send a pre- written conduct report home with the student or the transportation office will issue a written warning.
- After a third written warning, the student will receive a suspension of their bus riding privileges.
- Serious violations that could endanger health and safety of students on the bus could result in an immediate suspension of a student’s bus riding privileges.
The Transportation Director has the authority to skip steps for serious violations.