Curiosity Grant Recipients
- Click to see a larger version Curiosity Grant Winner - Sunset Lake Lighthouse Club Sunset Lake Lighthouse Club sponsors: Michelle Malito and Kristina Newhouse
- Click to see a larger version "Swept Away" Grant Mrs. Guerrero's 2018 kindergarten class "swept away" project to keep Sunset Lake Elementary neat and tidy.
- Click to see a larger version New York Best Selling author to visit Sunset Lake, Tobey and Indian Lake Schools! Congratulations to the Star Readers 2.0 on receiving a $250 Curiosity Grant to have author Michael Spradlin visit each of our elementary schools!
The Vicksburg Community Schools Foundation has a program that allows students from any grade level, to apply for a special grant that would support innovation. Grants generally range in amounts from $50.00 to $250.00. It is possible however, that projects may be considered for a larger amount, if funding allows.
2018-2019 Grant Recipients
The Board approved eight Curiosity Grants, for a total of $2,089.25.
Mrs. Law's 4th Grade Indian Lake Class - $250.00 awarded to obtain LEGO sets for LEGO Club.
Madi Smith and Kendall Childs - $287.82 to the Sunset Lighthouse Team to purchase drawstring bags for students to easily transport home the 7 Habits of Happy Kids lessons to share with their families. Adult mentors: Mrs. Malito and Mrs. Newhouse
Sunset Lake Garden Club - $300 for flowers, gardening supplies and tools. Adult mentor: Mrs. Lee
Rylee, Ashley, Kami, Makayla, Rylie and Kayla - Tobey 5th grade class received $250 to purchase books for their classroom library. Adult mentor: Mrs. Barton
Tobey Elementary - $428.15 to help purchase a Tower Garden. Adult mentor: Mr. Barwegen
Mrs. Laaksonen's 6th Grade Middle School Classes - $187.14 granted for a QBall tossable microphone.
Mrs. Phelp's 5th Grade Sunset Lake Class - $187.14 granted for a QBall tossable microphone.
Mrs. Wilson - $199.00 to purchase GooseChase, an on-line virtual scavenger hunt tool that fosters collaboration with teams of educators and/or students.
Grants must be for educational purposes and we encourage creativity.
High School/Middle School group applicants must submit individual grant applications and appoint one student as the contact who will also submit a summary giving details of total funds requested, etc. Funding for trips, club trips, or competitions submitted by teachers/mentors will not be considered, with the exception of elementary age applicants who will be permitted to have the teacher/mentor as a lead in their project and the application process. Funding to attend camps will not be considered.
Applicants may apply each year, however, previous year recipients may receive lower priority in the allocation of grant funds. (The VCSF reserves the right to fund any special request throughout the year.)
If the project is not completed, award monies will be returned to the VCSF. Equipment purchases entirely with grant monies will become the property of Vicksburg Community Schools. Partially funded equipment purchases will be discussed with the applicant prior to grant award for clarification of ownership. Instructions will be given on how to secure the release of the grant award depending upon the project proposed.
How to Apply
- Download an application. Complete instructions on the application process are included with each application form.
- You can also obtain an application at the Foundation office located at the Assistant Superintendent's office, in the Administration Building, or
- Call Beth O'Roark @ (269) 321-1006